CAGAYAN DE ORO:
POPULATION (2006)- 568,789
LAND AREA (SQ. KM.) 488.88 SQ.KM.
- CITY OF GOLDEN FRIENDSHIP
- CITY OF ADVENTURES IN THE SOUTH
- CITY OF BLOOM, BLOOSOM AND BOOM!!!!!
- CLASSIFIED CITY:HIGHLY URBANIZED CITY
- CITY STATUS:BILLIONAIRE CITY
- – EXCEEDED OF 1 BILLION INCOME LAST 2005.
- CITY CHARTER SINCE JUNE 15,1950
- JUSTINIANO BORJA 1954- 1964
- MAX SUNIEL
- RUBEN CANOY 1971- 1973
- CONCORDIO DIEL 1973- 1976
- MAYOR ROA 1977-1980
- MAYOR AQUILINO PIMENTEL 1980-1984
- MAYOR PABLO MAGTAJAS 1984-1998
- MAYOR VICENTE YAP EMANO 1998-2007
- MAYOR CONSTANTINO JARAULA 2007 -
1.MALASAG ECO-TOURISM VILLAGE
2.CDO WHITE WATER RAFTING
6.MUSEO DE ORO AT XAVIER UNIVERSITY
8.SAN AUGUSTINE CATHEDRAL
9.DIVISORIA NIGHT CAFE!!!!!
The City of Cagayan de Oro (Cebuano: Dakbayan sa Cagayan de Oro; Filipino: Lungsod ng Cagayan de Oro) is the trade and services of Northern Mindanao. Abbreviated CDO, CDOC, CdeO or Cag. de Oro, lies along the northern coastline on the island of Mindanao. It is the provincial capital of the province of Misamis Oriental and classified as a first class city. One of the Philippines’ most progressive cities and one of its most picturesque. The city serves as the regional center being the most populous highly-urbanized city in Northern Mindanao(Region X). According to the 2007 Philippine census, the city has an estimated population of 553,996 people. It is the urban centre of Metro Cagayan de Oro.
Cagayan de Oro is a coastal city facing the Macajalar Bay.Several creeks and rivers run through the city. The southern portion of the city is dominated by hills, gorges, plateaus and mountain ranges of Bukidnon province. The city is known by many nicknames such as “Gateway to Northern Mindanao” because of its location and good transportation facilities, “City of Whitewater Rafting and River Trekking” it is a primary whitewater rafting destination in the country that has a whole year round of maneuverable rafting courses and is located within the city limit, “ICT Goldmine of the Philippines” and “A City in Bloom, in Blossom and in BOOM!”because of the great strides it has made by way of progress, notably in the last few years. Officially, Cagayan de Oro is known as the “City of Golden Friendship” (Dakbayan sa Bulawanong Panaghigalaay) for the naturally warm people and old-fashioned hospitality. The official city seal bears this phrase.
In its history, Cagayan de Oro was devastated by fierce battles in the 20th century. The American invasion in 1900s Philippine-American War and the second world war changed Cagayan de Oro landscape. Heavy bombardment in World War II leveled the town to the ground. It destroyed the old St. Augustine Metropolitan Cathedral built in 1845, robbing Cagayan de Oro of its last Spanish heritage. There are also other places in the Philippines with a “Cagayan” name. One must distinguish Cagayan de Oro from Cagayan province in Northern Luzon and the Cagayan Islands in the Sulu Sea.
Cagayan de Oro is located along the central coast of Northern Mindanao. It is situated in Mindanao, the second giant of the archipelago of all the mass of the Philippines. To the south, the city is bordered by the Bukidnon Province and Lanao del Norte (Iligan City). The Municipality of Opol, Misamis Oriental borders the city on the west and Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental to the east. To the north lies Macajalar Bay facing the Bohol Sea. Its total land area is 488.86 km² representing 13.9 percent of the entire Misamis Oriental Province. It includes 25 kilometers of coastline and a fine deep water harbor, Macajalar Bay. 44.7 percent of the surface of Cagayan de Oro is classified as agricultural land, and 38.4 percent is classified as open spaces
- Kagay-an Festival is held every 26th to the 28th of August in celebration of Cagayan de Oro’s patron, Saint Augustine of Hippo (Señor San Agustin). Highlights of the Kagay-an Festival are the Kagay-an Agro-Trade Fair, Miss Kagay-an Tourism, Higaonon Street Dancing, Golden Float Parade and the Lambagohan Fluvial Parade. There are also cultural shows, competitions and concerts. The word “Kagay-an” means “the place of the river” is the root of the name of Cagayan de Oro, derived from the great river that runs through the city.
- Charter Day every 15th of June, the city celebrates the cityhood of Cagayan de Oro. It was on June 15, 1950 that Cagayan de Misamis became a city and its name changed to Cagayan de Oro.
- Kumbira a culinary show and exhibit that started in 1996 by local hoteliers and restaurants, it is now one of the most anticipated culinary show and exhibit in the region. There are food demonstrations, culinary competition and seminars. Hotel and Restaurant Management schools from neighboring provinces participate and showcase their students talent along with local hoteliers. This is usually held in mid of August as part of the Kagay-an Festival.
- Kagay-an Agro-Trade Fair a trade fair showcases the different indigenous and home-made products from various parts of Northern Mindanao including Cagayan de Oro City and Misamis Oriental province. Products include woven bags, goat’s milk, soap, local wine, processed food and others. It is one of the core activities of the Kagay-an Festival.
Whitewater Rafting and River Trekking along the Cagayan de Oro river has gained popularity through the years after President Macapagal-Arroyo herself went whitewater rafting last 2002
Catanico Falls is concealed by huge boulders, the rapids, cascading falls and natural pool of Barangay F.S. Catanico.
Mapawa Nature Park for horseback riding, biking, zipline and nature trekking.
Gardens of Malasag Eco-Tourism Village is located in a reforested area in Malasag Hill. This 7 hectare village has replicas of tribal houses in the region and a panoramic view of Macajalar Bay. The tourism village is owned and managed by the Philippine Tourism Authority.
Plaza Divisoria (Golden Friendship Park)
Kagay-an Resort in the Taguanao area, is usually packed with families and groups on weekends lounging in the cold springs.
Pueblo de Oro Township in upper Carmen is an expansive business and residential area. This is where SM City Cagayan de Oro, Hotel Koresco, the 18-hole Pueblo de Oro Golf Course and Country Club designed by Robert Trent Jones II, and a host of middle to high-end residential areas are located. It is also home to the Pueblo de Oro Business IT Park, the first PEZA-registered IT park in Mindanao. The IT Park currently houses one of Cagayan de Oro’s call centers.
High Ridge located on a hilltop in Aluba. The area used to be a commercial establishment but was closed down by the city for “zoning violation.” Since then High Ridge has been open to the public for outdoor picnics.
Monigue Cave is located at Barangay Mambuaya this city; the cave entrance is flowing water from underground stream. The cave has a small opening that seems too narrow to be passable, it has a six inches airspace between ceiling and water that you have submerge yourselves one by one, equipped with a helmet and a waterproof cap lamp. The cave contains a beautiful sparkling formations which is called the CALCIUM CARBONATE (CaCO3) or CALCITES. These stalactites and stalagmites, white and brown, are sign of oxidized materials that take 50–60 years to form an inch. the cave is definitely spellbinding, There were formations of flowstone, gurpool-resembling, rice terraces, transparent crystals and pictureque speleothems, such as cathedral drapes and icons. Everything was simply beautiful and awesome.
Macahambus Adventure Park is located in Barangay Lumbia, one can experience walking on a suspended steel bridge connected to trees a hundred feet above ground level. You can then cross back using a zipline or rapel down to the Macahambus gorge and cave, the site of the historic battle between Kagayanon and American soldiers during the Philippine-American War (Philippine Insurrection) in 1900s.
Museums and Historical Places
Macahambus Hill, Cave and Gorge is an underground cave with a 130 foot (40 m) circular gorge. The ravine is thick with various species of plants and huge trees. It is the site of the historic Battle of Makahambus Hill between local and American soldiers during the Philippine-American War (1900).
Macahambus Hill, Cave and Gorge
Museum of Three Cultures is a newly opened museum in Capitol University. It houses a gallery of Maranao antiquities from Tugaya, Lanao del Sur; a gallery of ethnohistory which shall display Cagayan de Oro history, Butuan archaeological artifacts, lumad arts and crafts
from the Higaunon and Manobo cultures, and a treasure of Christian lowland artifacts of Northern Mindanao; and finally an art gallery and coffee shop that shall promote the local visual arts of Mindanao. It also have a research archives that will house Spanish era documents, photographs, memorabilia of well-known personalities in Mindanao, which is open to all researchers and students of culture.
La Castilla originally the vacation house of Rodolfo Neri-Pelaez and Elsa Pelaez, founders of Liceo de Cagayan University, it became their permanent residence in 1976. By 1997 it was converted into a museum. The museum showcases the Pelaez family heirlooms and memorabilia. Antique Chinese jars and wares from various Chinese dynasties are on display. The museum is administered by the Liceo de Cagayan University.
Old Sugar Mill from Spanish colonial knowing that this old mill was owned by the Capistrano family, we can probably surmise that it was built sometime before or after the turn of the 19th to the 20th century, since that was the time that Nicolas Capistrano and his wife migrated to Cagayan de Oro from Manila.
Trinitas Roa Reyes Ancestral House is a very historic house. It was the residence of Jose Reyes y Barrientos who was a member of the Philippine Independence Mission to the US in 1919 and who was earlier Misamis governor in 1913. In the 1930s, his wife Trinitas Roa Reyes had the house rented to Bishop James Hayes after his appointment as first Bishop of Cagayan, making it a temporary Bishop’s Palace. Hayes installed quilted canvas on the ceilings. Today, the house is in a dilapidated state, but still to be found are hardwood round timber posts topped by exposed beams with intricate carvings. Cagayan de Oro is the shopping capital of the Northern Mindanao region. Residents from nearby provinces visit the city to shop and enjoy the mall facilities, with numerous of department stores, supermarkets, retail stores and modern public markets. Among the biggest malls in the city is Limketkai Center. It was established more than a decade ago. SM Prime Holdings and Robinsons Land Corporation are drawing plans to further expand their mall operations in the city proper.
Shopping Centers and Malls
is the Pride of Cagayan de Oro which covers around 25 hectares making it one of the most expansive commercial complexes in the country. It is located in Barangay Lapasan, near the National Highway. It is the first mall in the city and outside Metro Manila. It is owned by Limketkai Corporation, a local company. It has a supermarket and department store operated by Plaza Fair and Robinsons. There are several boutiques, food outlets and small shops (Tiangge) operating. The Atrium (Entertainment Hall) can accommodate over 3,000 people and has already hosted several local and foreign concerts, conventions, exhibits, and other events. Events held in the Atrium include concerts by local and foreign artists, beauty pageants, including the annual Miss Kagay-an Tourism, local and national conventions.
is a proposed shopping mall located in Barangay Indahag, Ayala Business Park and it would be the biggest Ayala malls on the island of Mindanao.
Robinsons Cagayan de Oro is located in Limketkai Complex and behind Limketkai Mall. It is right beside Grand Caprice Restaurant and Convention Center.